Youth Kayak Academy
The principle aim of the Youth Kayak Academy is to provide further training opportunities for young people (between ages of 12-16) to further develop their kayaking skills. It also aims to provide further opportunities for junior canoeists to continue their participation in the sport.
- Is open to all participants of Introductory Training Courses organised by Canoeing Ireland who have successfully completed a Level 2 Kayak Skills course
- Is open to young people between 12 and 18 years who hold Level 2 Kayak Skills award
- Sessions will be organised on a three month term basis with six – eight sessions per term.
- There will be two terms per year
- October to December
- January to March,
- Kayaking sessions will be organised on Saturday mornings . The sessions will generally be located at the Training Centre but this will depend on circumstances such as numbers, overall experience of groups, water levels, etc.
- There will be an opportunity to participate in Coaching Clinics – Freestyle, Slalom and other competitive canoe disciplines on Saturday afternoons.
River Trips- These may be organised from time to time In the event of a river trip being arranged club members will be notified well in advance
- The fee per term is €195. This is to cover costs such as tuition fees, administration, insurance, use of Training Centre facilities and includes one year membership of Canoeing Ireland .
- In the event of a trip being organised there may also be additional fee to cover the cost of the transport of canoeing equipment and instructor’s travelling expenses.
- All fees must be paid in advance – in the event of a session being cancelled students will be offered an alternate date or a refund for that session
- Any extra specialist Coaching Clinics will incur additional fees
Equipment / Gear
- Participants/students will have access to Training Centre boats and equipment during school activities
- All Training Centre equipment is the property of Canoeing Ireland and it would be expected that due care be taken when it is being used by students. In the event of loss or damage to equipment by a club member it would be expected that the damaged equipment be replaced or repaired or alternatively that the Centre be recompensed for its replacement or damage.
- All boats and equipment must be returned to the Centre after each activity
- Boats and equipment cannot be taken from the Centre except by prior arrangement with the Training Centre Manager
- All participants will be covered under Canoeing Ireland’s Public Liability insurance cover during official activities. Instructors will make every effort to ensure the safety of participants whilst on Academy activities.
- Students are strongly advised to take out their own Personal Accident Insurance cover.
- All students are expected to adhere to recommended safety rules and advice.
- The Youth Kayak Academy (YKA) is aimed at those who have some kayaking experience and are at minimum Level 2 Kayak Skills standard
- The sessions will be focused on Kayak Skills training in river runner techniques with workshops in a different discipline with an experienced Instructor in that discipline.
- Sessions will also focus on moving water skills and developing skills in multiple disciplines
- It will be based from Canoeing Ireland Training Centre on the Strawberry Beds, Lucan.
- Age range from 12 – 16 years
Subject to numbers Youth Kayak Academy may subdivide into two categories
Junior (12 – 14 years) Senior (14 – 16 years)
Term 1 of the Youth Kayak Academy will run from September until November 2017 .
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01 625110
Academy fee and booking
Fee : €195 for 7 sessions
Click here to book Youth Kayak Academy
Contact email@example.com or call 01 6251105 for further details
Term 1 Calendar
|1||30th Sept||10.00–12.30||Revision Level 2 Skills|
|2||7th Oct||10.00–12.30||Level 3 skills training 1|
|3||14th Oct||10.00–12.30||Level 3 skills training 2|
|4||21st Oct||10.00–12.30||Canoe Polo Clinic|
|5||28th Oct||10.00–12.30||Level 3 skills training 3|
|6||4th Nov||10.00–12.30||Freestyle Clinic|
|7||11th Nov||10.00–12.30||River Trip|
Click here to book Youth Kayak Academy
Provisional Calendar- Term 2
|Week Date Time Details|
What to bring
The Training Centre will supply all the kayaking gear. Student need to bring appropriate clothing for under the wetsuit, Shorts/Swimming gear, warm fleece/hoodie or thermal that can get wet and also old runners and a towel
Children must be signed in and out of the school every day by a parent or guardian – under no circumstances are children allowed to “come and go” on their own .