Course packages for Scouting Ireland
Canoeing Ireland offer Scouting and Girl Guides groups a number of different packages to choose from to assist them to get their groups kayaking. These range from a 2-4 hour sessions to full day courses and progression courses.
Half day – Get your Troop Kayaking Session (Taster Session)
Group Package Price
€240 for up to 12 participants
€480 for up to 24 participants
This is based on a minimum of 12 per group. Any extra rate is €20 per person
How it works?
- Sessions will be delivered over a half day of activity up to 4 hours .
- Groups will be split in two, with each group getting a two hour canoeing session.
- While one half of the group will be on the water (or under the supervision of instructors) the other half of the group will be the responsibility of the scout leaders when they are not directly involved in a canoeing session.
- Leaders may choose to stagger the arrival and departure of the group or to do bank based activity with the half of the group who aren’t on the water.
Groups can book 3 sessions to achieve their level 1 Kayak skills award or 5 to achieve their Level 2 kayak skills award
One Day Course – Scouting Ireland Stage 2 Paddling Award Level 1 Kayak Skills
Canoeing Ireland is offering a Canoeing package, designed exclusively for Scouts to achieve their Stage 2 paddling award as part of the Adventure Skills programme.
There are nine defined Adventure Skills. Paddling is one of the skills included in this framework to provide an active and adventurous programme that is fun, challenging and provides opportunities for Scouts to develop friendships.
The paddling competency allows members of Scouting Ireland to carry out a great variety of Scouting adventures and activities in a safe and competent manner.
Adventure Skills Badges require a young person to achieve a detailed set standard in a particular Adventure Skill. The requirements are progressive and ultimately pave the way to outside recognition by a National Governing Body (NGB) of a chosen skill.
Courses operate from our Training Centre on the Strawberry beds, Lucan.Link
Full day 10am until 4.00pm
Group Package Price:
€320 for up to 8 participants (This means a fantastic price of €40 per head)
The course can be run on any date that suits the group depending on availability
(Please note there is a Minimum age of 8 years old)
- Scouts will get a chance to learn how to operate at least two types of crafts – such as kayaks, canoes or sit-on-tops
- The course will also cover Canoeing Ireland level 1 skills with participants being assessed for the Level Skills Award Gr with demonstrated competency.
- The course will also cover all theory, knowledge and safety required for the participant to achieve a Stage 2 paddling award as set out by the Adventure Skills syllabus.
Level 2 Kayak Skills Course
These courses are of introductory level and operate under the guidance of qualified Canoeing Ireland Instructors. Assessment for the Level 2 Kayak Skills Award is included at the end of each course.
These courses consist of five 2.5 hr sessions or can be run over two full days (Weekend). Course fee includes all technical equipment (i.e. kayaks, wetsuits, etc.).
Group Package Price
€600 for up to 8 participants (This means a price of €75 per person for a full two days or five sessions)
Further details are forwarded when a place is booked on a course.
Canoeing Ireland can tailor courses and days to suit your groups needs. If none of the options above are suitable please email email@example.com or call 016251105 to discuss other options.
How to book
Email the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Each participant must also have signed consent from a Parent or Guardian. All forms should be collected by the group leader and brought on the day. Only participants with completed forms will be allowed to participate on the day.
What to bring on courses: We supply all the kayaking gear. What you need to bring is appropriate clothing for under the wetsuit, Shorts/Swimming gear, warm fleece/hoodie or thermal that can get wet and also old runners and a towel.
On full day course students should bring a packed lunch with lots of snacks, plenty to drink to keep themselves hydrated throughout.
All Scouts must be signed in and out of the camp everyday by a parent or guardian. Scouts are allowed to “come and go” on their own .
Check out the video of 20th Dundrum Scout Troop and Taney Cubs who partook in this day