Level 3 Skills Training
Canoeing Ireland run Level 3 kayak skills training courses over two days. The course is aimed at those who have;
- Attended and completed Level 2 Skills courses and achieved certification
- Who upon obtaining their level 2 skills certification have participated in at least 4 river trips on grade two water or higher
- Who wish to go on and aspire to becoming a Kayak Instructor
- Who wish to gain top class instruction and progress their white water paddling skills.
- You must be over the ages of 12
The course is an intense two days which aims to cover all skills required on a level 3 skills assessment. It aims to give the paddler an excellent understanding of moving water and how different strokes and techniques can be used to navigate the river in a safe and fun manner.
Goal of the Training:
To help level 2 skills kayakers move to the next level of the sport and begin to explore whitewater moves on a higher grade of whitewater. This Course focuses on solidifying level 2 skills before building level 3 skills so students have a solid foundation for paddling more difficult whitewater.
What will be covered:
After a review of basic strokes and whitewater moves, we introduce or improve upon a few advanced strokes such as Bow Rudder, bracing strokes and hanging draw.
We then head out to whitewater where we aggressively work on fine tuning break in’s/out’s and ferrygliding, concentrating especially on entering micro-eddies, breaking out into fast current, and ferrying across difficult jets of water. We also introduce wave and hole surfing, and we work on teaching or improving the roll and applying it to whitewater situations.
Come prepared to discuss your specific goals or trouble spots in your paddling. The more information you can provide the better the instructor can tailor your course.
€130 for the weekend and includes all equipment hire and tuition.
10 am – 5pm each day
- 23rd January – 24th January
- 13th February, 14th February
How to book:
Places are limited to 12 participants. To book fill in the application form below selecting the dates and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or return by post.