Olympic Federation of Ireland Tokyo 2020 Pre-Games Camp Volunteer Programme
Committed enthusiastic volunteers are an essential element of the successful delivery of the Tokyo 2020 Games for all stakeholders. This programme is targeted at volunteers who are not part of the NOC Assistant Programme and is focused on support for the Irish Team during the pre-Games camp programme in Japan.
There are a number of reasons why volunteers are so important:
- Team staff numbers restricted due to TOCOG’s quota.
- High cost of transporting and providing accommodation for staff to support the team during the pre-Game camp phase.
- Hugely demanding on staff to perform at the highest level at all times for the duration of the holding camp and Olympic Games.
- Added complexities of the language and local cultures and customs in Fukuroi and Hamamatsu mean that local knowledge and translation are very important.
- Irish diaspora can help build a “home from home” environment for the Irish Team.
- Strongly needed in order to fulfill the camp aims.
Volunteer Programme Goals:
- The goal of the volunteer programme is to support the Olympic Federation of Ireland in the successful delivery of the Pre-Games Holding Camp in Fukuroi and Hamamatsu prior to and during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. The programme will operate in line with the Olympic Federation of Ireland Volunteer Policy.
Volunteer Role Specifications:
- Ideally volunteers will have a good level of spoken English and Japanese. A high level of spoken Japanese is vital.
- Enthusiastic about providing support to Team Ireland.
- An understanding of Japanese culture and customs is desirable.
- An interest in sport is desirable but not essential.
- Willing to do any reasonable task requested to assist with the successful running of the pre-Games camp.
Pre-Games Holding Camp
- The primary role of the volunteer based at the Pre-Games Holding Camp is to assist with tasks assigned to them that will ultimately free up the time for coaches and athletes to concentrate on training, resting and relaxing.
- Specific roles/rosters will be assigned by the Volunteer Coordinator in advance of the camp but due to the nature of elite sport and the pressure of this critical pre-competition phase there are likely to be changes during the camp. General tasks may include supporting in the following areas:
- Maintenance of Team Lounge(s)
- Trips to local supermarkets to purchase food and drinks for the snack areas
- Stocking of fridges and snack areas
- Assistance with collection & re-distribution of laundry
- Other duties/tasks which may arise e.g. Runner
- Welcoming and assisting with arrival and departure
- Supporting with transport schedule
- Venue set up prior to team’s arrival
- Soft security of the Team Relaxation Area
- Stocking of fridge and snack table in the Team Area
- Assistance as requested by athletes, coaches and the support staff e.g. gathering/collecting equipment, assisting athletes with drinks etc.
- Venue tidy up each day including taking down and storage of equipment.
- Other duties/tasks which may arise
- Liaising with local groups as requested by the Volunteer Coordinator in relation to planned community engagement projects
- Venue set up and tidy up pre and post community engagement projects
- Support for local participants and athletes during community engagement projects
- Other duties/tasks which may arise
What volunteers will receive:
- T-shirt x2
- Meals (where appropriate)
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying to be a volunteer supporting Team Ireland during the Tokyo 2020 pre-Games Camp please complete the attached form and send, along with a CV to email@example.com.
Olympic Federation of Ireland Pre-Games Camp Volunteer Programme
Expression of Interest Form
|Date of Birth (identification purposes only):|
|Address during Summer 2020:|| |
|English Language Proficiency:||Native||Fluent|
|Japanese Language Proficiency:||Native||Fluent|
|Please provide a brief explanation of why you wish to apply for the Olympic Federation of Ireland Pre-Games Camp Volunteer Programme:|
|Please outline any previous experience, skills or qualifications which would assist you as a volunteer:|
|Will you be available for the full operational period of the Volunteer Programme (a roster will be developed and you will not be expected to work every day)? Please note that camps and dates are subject to change given the nature of elite sport and eventual team size.|
|Fukuroi Camp 10th July – 6th August|
|Please indicate any known dates for which you will be unavailable:|