Canoeing Ireland ETBI Announce Partnership
Institute of Technology Tralee – 24th September 2019
Canoeing Ireland and ETBI today signed a Memorandum of Understanding which recognises both organisations as high-quality providers with the aim of promoting their respective activities in order to enhance the sporting and educational opportunities available to their members, students and the general public.
Canoeing Ireland develops, promotes and governs recreational and competitive Canoeing in Ireland for all, through a network of clubs, activity providers and members with whom it delivers high performance and participation training programmes and events.
Canoeing Ireland aims to be relevant to and representative of paddle sports in Ireland, increasing participation and performance in partnership with a thriving network of clubs, social, community, educational and commercial organisations and to continually enhance our international success.
ETBI represents 16 Outdoor Education & Training Centres (OETC’s) across Ireland. The OETC’s provide an Outdoor Education service to schools, colleges & youth services in addition to a range of adventure sports and related courses for individual adults & youths.
The Partnership aims to support and enhance the development of Canoeing and Kayaking in Ireland, through:
· the establishment of OETCs as key regional providers and hubs for Canoeing & Kayaking
· The promotion of canoeing in all its forms and the promotion of canoeing within national curricula.
· To support the delivery of high-quality Canoeing activities across Ireland.
· To provide certified training in skills and techniques and the promotion of safety.
· To provide a high-quality Instructor and Coach education system and a training awards scheme suitable for the needs of Irish paddlers and compatible with QQI awards where appropriate.
· To provide regional hubs for equipment, which may be loaned out to Canoeing Ireland member clubs and appropriate educational bodies.
· To promote Canoeing as a life-time sport and to promote Outdoor Education & Training Centre courses, Canoeing Ireland clubs and Canoeing Ireland membership for this purpose.
Brian Ogilvie – President, Canoeing Ireland
“Canoeing Ireland is committed to enhancing and growing participation in paddle sports in Ireland through strategic partnerships. This partnership exploits the considerable synergies between both parties to the agreement. We are looking forward to working closely with the OETC’s to this end.”
Moira Aston – CEO, Canoeing Ireland
“Both Canoeing Ireland and the ETBI are committed to creating a strong and enduring partnership, with shared values and goals. We are confident that this partnership will assist with the growth and development of paddle sports from our youngest participants to our future Olympians.”
Nessa White – General Secretary ETBI
“The Education and Training Boards National Network of provision provides phenomenal opportunities for learning across all Irish communities. This partnership further enhances the quality offering of outdoor activity provided by the Outdoor Education Centres across ETBs”.
Anne McHugh- Chief Executive Donegal Education and Training Board
“Since the establishment of the first ETB Outdoor Education in 1971 the service has grown and developed enormously providing programmes in a range of outdoor settings using a variety of adventure and environmental activities as the medium for learning. This MOU with Canoeing Ireland further underpins our commitment to providing quality learning experiences for our communities”.