About Canoeing Ireland
The Irish Canoe Union T/A Canoeing Ireland was formed in 1960 and is registered as a limited company in order to provide liability protection for its members. It is recognised by the Irish Sports Council and the Olympic Federation of Ireland (OFI) as the governing body of the sport and recreation of canoeing in Ireland. It is affiliated to the International and European Canoe Federations.
Aims and objectives of Canoeing Ireland:
- The promotion of canoeing in all its forms.
- To organise/assist in organising and promoting competitive and recreational canoeing events.
- To select, train, and administer competitors to represent Ireland at international events.
- To arrange and provide the holding of instruction in canoeing skills and techniques, the establishment and conduct of a system of tests and qualifications, and the promotion of safety.
- To issue guidelines and make regulations for all forms of canoeing as appropriate and to encourage the observance by canoeists of a code of conduct.
- To protect the interests of canoeists and to work for improved facilities.
- To support administrative or legislative measures which will improve facilities for canoeing and to act to prevent the introduction of such measures injurious to the sport.
- To create and promote by publicity and education an informed and interested public opinion of the value and importance of canoeing in all its forms.
- To provide and supply information and advice to members by means of books, periodicals and other methods.
- To provide services as far as possible and appropriate for other organisations, clubs and persons interested in or associated with the sport and recreation of canoeing.
Structure of Canoeing Ireland
The Executive is responsible for the day to day financial and administrative affairs of the Union, employment of staff, and the achievement of the Union’s policies and objectives. The current members of the Executive are:
President: Brian Ogilvie
Honorary Secretary: Luke Logan
Honorary Treasurer: Aisling Conlan
Executive Member 1: Leigh Blackmore
Executive Member 2: Lynda Byron
Board of Management
The affairs of Canoeing Ireland are managed by an elected Management Board. The Board has overriding authority in all matters. However, it has authority to delegate responsibility to a number of Standing Committees as follows:
Dublin Representative: John Murray
Independent Director: Brendan Quinn
Positions Open for:
High Performance Representative
Non HP Representative
Training, Coaching & Accreditation Representative
The Board further delegates its responsibilities to a number of Discipline Committees, who are authorised to act in all matters connected with their own branch of the sport, and to draft regulations for the proper management of their discipline. The Specialist Committees are:
Training & Development Unit
The Training & Development Unit through its countrywide network of qualified instructors (Training Unit) is responsible for the promotion of recreational canoeing in all its forms. The Training & Development Unit (TDU) is the annually elected representative body of the TU. The Committee contains the following positions:
Chairperson: Jon Hynes
Secretary: Conor Ryan
Treasurer: Craig Keyworth
Kayak Officer: Darryl Audioire
Sea Officer: Tom Ronayne
Open Canoe Officer: Lorcan McDonnell
Public Relations Officer: Rosie O’Sullivan
Safety Officer: Terrance Glancy
Access & Environment: TBC
The TDU is involved in making policy decisions, setting operational standards, promoting the training and qualifying of Outdoor Adventure staff, developing resource material, research, training of instructors, consultation, provision of equipment, and promotion of all disciplines through non certificate training courses.
(Please note: Canoeing Ireland is not responsible for external links. The views expressed on external websites do not necessarily represent official Canoeing Ireland policy)
Chief executive Officer
Flow State Magazine
Training Centre Manager
Diversity Development Manager
Clonmel Sports Partnership officer
Liffey Descent Coordinator